When Faced With Stress, Depression and Anxiety, Everyone Needs Help to COPE
Evidence-based Programs for Schools, Healthcare Facilities and Professionals, Parents and Children
Learn How to COPE
Our Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-based (CBT) programs are designed to help children and teens deal with anxiety, stress and depression by showing them how to develop the skills needed to stop negative thoughts and start thinking and behaving in more positive ways.
The evidence-based 15-Session COPE Healthy Lifestyles TEEN (Thinking, Emotions, Exercise, and Nutrition) manual-based program builds upon the skills learned in the 7-Session Teen Program by including sessions on healthy nutrition and physical activity, helping overweight teens coping with low self-esteem and heightened depressive and anxiety symptoms.
Shortcuts to Order Forms
For parents seeking an easily-accessible, self-delivered, cognitive behavioral therapy online educational program to help their teenagers learn CBT-based techniques for coping with stress, anxiety and depression using an internet-connected home-based computer.
For mental healthcare and counseling professionals seeking to become COPE-certified instructors and deliver the manual or online CBT-based programs to their patients suffering from stress, anxiety and depression.
For administrators and school-based healthcare/counseling professionals seeking to become COPE-certified instructors and deliver the manual or online CBT-based programs to their students suffering from stress, anxiety and depression.
Seven or fifteen, easy-to-navigate manual or online cbt-based sessions teach the skills necessary to help deal with problems and emotions, set goals, and feel happier, healthier and more positive every day.
By trying out new skills, writing about personal experiences, and working to find solutions to problems, children and teens are encouraged to change the way they think, act and behave.
CBT-based skills building activities encourage children and teens to live what they’ve learned throughout the week, strengthening their mental connections and behaviors that lead to positive change.
News Stories of Interest
New Missouri Law:
- "This act requires each public institution of higher education to develop and implement a policy to advise students and staff on suicide prevention programs available on and off campus that includes, but is not limited to crisis intervention access, mental health program access, multimedia application access, student communication plans, and post intervention plans." http://www.senate.mo.gov/17info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=57095443
Alarming study results on child suicide rates:
- Study Conclusions: "Encounters for suicidality and serious self-harm at 32 U.S. children’s hospitals increased steadily from 2008 to 2015 and accounted for an increasing percentage of all encounters during this period. Increases were noted in all age groups. A consistent seasonal pattern was also observed. Research to understand factors contributing to these trends is urgently needed. Awareness of these trends is also critical for hospital preparedness."
- Contributed Comments: "Avital K. Cohen, a licensed psychologist who was not involved in the research, believes that a variety of factors contribute to the rising trend seen in this study. Our expectations of children have changed pretty significantly in the last several decades," Cohen said, although she doesn't have research to support her opinion. Many parents try to protect their children from experiencing failure when they are young; thus, when they experience it later in life, they may not have developed the resources and/or coping skills they need to manage it," she said. A bigger emotional response is triggered, which "might contribute to increases in suicidal expression.""
COPE2Thrive Program News
- COPE2Thrive Online and Manual-based Programs have helped over 5000 children and teens in 40 U.S. states.
- Grant-funding resources to help you pilot the COPE2Thrive programs in your classroom or facility.
- We now have over 450 COPE-trained Instructors. Become an Instructor Today!
Program Delivery-Related News
- New Program License Renewal Option for Instructors: Purchase of 40 hard-copy student workbooks/manuals (or 200 Print-Your-Own) since your previous license renewal date (per instructor).
- We now have an Instructor's Networking Group through Facebook open to all currently-licensed COPE instructors. To receive an email invitation to join, please complete and submit this form (you must have a Facebook page in order to become a member of the group).
- A Print-Your-Own Student Manuals option is now available for larger schools, districts and providers (minimum 200/type) that provides a 75% off savings off the pre-printed manual price.
- 7-Session Teen COPE + HEP (Headache Education Program) Manual is now available.*
- 7 - Session Teen Student Manual - Spanish Version is now available.
- 15 - Session TEEN Student Manual - Spanish Version is now available.
- COPE-trained Instructors: Don't forget the additional resources and information we have available to help with your program delivery.
- National Institute of Nursing Research - Notable Advances: A Healthy Lifestyle Intervention Increases Physical Activity, Reduces Overweight, and Improves Psychosocial Outcomes in High School Students (COPE TEEN 15-Session Program).
- The National Cancer Institute has designated the 15-Session COPE Healthy Lifestyles TEEN Program as a Research Tested Intervention Program for obesity control.
- In a large high school-based COPE trial with 779 teens, those who participated in the program in comparison to teens who did not receive COPE had:
- Higher average scores on social skills, specifically cooperation, assertion, and academic competence
- Higher academic performance
- Less alcohol use
- Less depression
- Greater healthy lifestyle behavior
- Less overweight/obesity
- School Administrators and Teachers: New York is the first state to pass a law that schools must deliver mental health curriculum, starting in 2018.
- The COPE 15-session program can be used for behavioral health curriculum and includes healthy nutrition and physical activity sessions.
*Adolescents with chronic headaches often experience depressive symptoms, anxiety and difficulties in school performance. The COPE + Headache Education Program Manual is for adolescents who are experiencing chronic daily or frequent headaches.
This program manual emphasizes the development of cognitive behavioral and coping skills, such as positive thinking, cognitive reappraisal, stress management, emotional regulation and problem solving along with headache hygiene education, such as strategies to improve sleep and avoid dietary and environmental triggers. Research* has supported that implementation of COPE + HEP with teens with chronic daily headaches resulted in decreases in depressive and anxiety symptoms along with improvements in headache frequency and duration.
* Randomized Controlled Trial of the Acceptability, Feasibility, and Preliminary Effects of a Cognitive Behavioral Skills Building Intervention in Adolescents with Chronic Daily Headaches: A Pilot Study - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4268377/
Online 7-Session Teen Program Students: Click the button below to begin or continue your program.
Manual-based Program Instructor Trainees: Please follow the link provided in your training materials.